Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Lentils are my new found love


The latest low-cost and nutritious food to float my boat is lentils. In a perusal of "More With Less" this morning as I avoided doing work, I became inspired to purchase some lentils and begin experimenting.

Experiment #1: Curried lentils.
Prep time = 30 minutes
Cost = <$1 for 3 servings
Nutrition = combine with a grain (like bread) for a decent dose of protein

This was seriously so delicious I keep sneaking into the fridge for more. And it was so incredibly easy I can't believe I haven't discovered lentils until now!

By the way, I took the chocolate beet cake to share with one of my classes last night and it got rave reviews. I'll definitely make that one again too.

In other food news, I attended a fantastic event at UBC today with several speakers on food policy and how it should taken seriously by planners. Things like community gardens, farmers markets, and encouraging the sale of locally produced food were all on the agenda. Check out Vancouver's food policy if you're particularly interested.

This fantastic event (which was probably made more fantastic by the fact that it was a distraction from the papers I have to write) was followed by a swanky reception with local food including salmon, cheeses, veggies, and lots and lots of wine. I ran into Jen, who some of you know, which was quite funny because I sat beside her and it was a good two minutes before either of us had a good look at the person we were sitting beside and realized that we knew each other. Jen is new homeowner and has her own garden. I'm jealous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple and yet brilliant dal:

1 c. green lentils
2 c. water
3/4 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced

Simmer for twenty minutes or so. Then puree. Add:

1 c. water
salt to taste
chili flakes or minced green chili to taste

Simmer another twenty minutes, adding water as necessary to keep it kind of soupy. Stir often.

Anonymous said...

i was going to tell you about the dahl too. drat. beaten to it by matt. We had it for dinner and lunch. It's better warm that cold!
Sheena