My days in Vancouver are numbered. I'm checkin' out of the big city and movin' to Gabriola Island. I got a job, a "real" job, as a planner for the Islands Trust. I can't really believe it's real, to be honest. I had my summer all planned out: I'd move back to Victoria, work a summer job with Parks Canada (where I worked also last summer), write my graduating project, then look for permanent work in the fall. I applied for this job kind of on a whim. I figured they'd want someone to start earlier than September, but I didn't think I'd get the job either. Making the decision to back out on the summer work with Parks to take the job on Gabriola was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make.
Now, I'm disappointed that I won't be in Victoria for the summer where I have some of my closest friends, and lots of family. But, it's a permanent job, and this is what I've been going to school to do. It's a GREAT job in fact, and I can't turn it down. If it was in Prince George I'd turn it down, but it's really not that far from Victoria or Vancouver (or Gibsons, for those who are interested ;).
Now that I've come to grips with this massive change to my plans, I can start getting excited. I'm looking forward to Gulf Islands life and to checking out Gabriola. I'm also really looking forward to the job. To be honest, I'm nervous. I have a hard time explaining to people what I'll be doing, because I don't really know! I'm nearly finished two years of planning school, but I'm still not sure what a day in the life of a planner for the Islands Trust is like. There will be a steep learning curve, but I'm encouraged by the fact that they picked ME, so they must know what they're getting themselves into. I did get a technical question wrong in the interview, so they are under no illusion that I am a pro at municipal planning.
I'm not looking forward to being lonely. Maybe I won't be lonely, but I already feel lonely thinking about it. I know, I shouldn't focus on the negative, but I'm not being too negative, just a bit apprehensive. I know one person on Gabriola; a wonderful gal who I had a class with last semester lives there with her partner. I imagine she'll be happy to introduce me to people and help me get oriented when I arrive. I imagine I'll also enjoy the change from the big city, and will be happy to spend exploring time alone.
I'm also hoping that lots of people will come and visit me. If you're in Vancouver, it's easy to get to via Horseshoe Bay, and if you're in Victoria, it's just an hour and a half drive to Gabriola ferry. It looks like there are some summertime community events to entice you all, such as the "Himalayan Festival" from June 6-8. Don't ask me why Gabriola would have such a culturally specific festival when I am fairly certain there is no Himalayan heritage on the Island, but perhaps you should come and check it out for yourselves.
With such exciting things to look forward to, it is proving especially difficult to motivate myself to finish the mass of papers and presentations I have to do. Really, really difficult. Please send motivating energy my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
!
MOTIVATING ENERGY ... ... !!
Congratulations, hope it is all that you need it & want it to be (and a little more).
K
Hey, that's amazing - well done! It doesn't get much better than that. We can (and will) come visit you by bicycle. Easily! Maybe you'll be our first stop on the up-island bike tour I want to do this summer.
Enjoy the sweet anticipation of leaving the big pavement behind.
Matt
I will definitely be visiting this summer, probably more than once! I love me some Gulf Islands action. I want to go to the Himalayan festival! If I'm back from my road trip by then, let's do it.
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Congratulations.
Congratulations,Courtney!Enjoy your stories, keep up the blogging!
Kyle's mom Val
i was just thinking that I think this means you have to change the subtitle of your blog. You're really not underemployed anymore! :)
sheena
We would love to have you drop by for Sunday Soup.
http://anthonysundaysoup.blogspot.com/
Joelle Anthony joellewrites@joelleanthony.com
340 Stephens Road
Post a Comment