Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Writers block and new creations

As of tonight, I am 50% finished a project that I started in May and was stalled at about 40% until last night. Sneak preview below. I don't knit much during the summer, and I've been having shoulder problems that are aggravated by knitting. And although I have reached an advanced stage of denial about graduating, I will admit to you that I haven't graduated yet, and the last things I ever feel like is working on are the two papers (or a "project" and a paper) that I have to finish.


I have decided on a new approach to this problem, however. What I really need is motivation, and I need inspiration to achieve this motivation. I could read academic papers, chain myself to my computer desk, tell myself how ridiculous it is to keep paying tuition, but these things haven't worked so far. So I've decided to get inspiration elsewhere, and get my creativity going again. I unpacked my "nick-knack" box yesterday and did some more decorating around my place. I have a dried kelp installation on my window sill which I'm quite proud of. Simple but beautiful. I'll take a picture in daylight. And of course, I finished 50% of the mystery project pictured above, which has led to a good sense of accomplishment and should motivate me to accomplish other things. I am going to unapologetically work on the other 50% and it will feel great to put the project in the mail to its intended recipient. Just in time for winter. I hope he'll forgive me for the delay.

2 comments:

the upside of fifty said...

That's my girl! It is unfortunate, but procrastination must be genetic. I know i have recited this little ditty to you before (think i found it in a Reader's Digest MANY years ago):

Procrastination is my sin,
It brings me endless sorrow.
I really must stop doing it;
In fact, I'll start tomorrow!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

that mystery project is no mystery! There's only one thing it could be with picked up stitches and and decreases like that...but I suppose that just proves I'm a knitting geek too.

I won't spoil the surprise for anyone else by saying what it is. good luck with part 2. (I'm on the first half of a shockingly similar project right now).

Sheena