The tragedy has to do with the felted slippers I boasted about earlier. I finished the knitting, and decided to do the felting this morning. I also threw in the wool sweater I bought at the thrift store last month that had holes in it that I couldn't patch to my satisfaction. So I felted the sweater, and have plans to sew something out of it. Maybe a purse...I don't know. Other ideas?
But the tragedy. I suppose you want to know about the tragedy. I don't know if I can speak of it. I am so embarrassed. I feel beyond disappointment that the hours I spent knitting the damn things are lost, and I will never get them back. I just feel dumb.
So the tragedy. Well, I bought the yarn at a thrift store a while back, and it turns out it's not wool. It must be acrylic, and acrylic doesn't felt. Who knew that rough-looking, ichy-feeling yarn could be acrylic and not wool. Well, a lot of people actually, but not me. Now I have learned the hard way. So now I have a completely useless pair of large and floppy unfelted slippers. Might I remind you that this is the second time I have attempted to make these slippers? Is this is a sign? Do I quit here? Or should I go for the old "third time a charm" belief? I don't know. I think I am putting slippers on the shelf for now, even thought I desperately need a pair for myself. I have yarn for four pairs of socks (or maybe some gloves in there somewhere) waiting to be knit, and it is all beautiful, and I have a new sock pattern to try.
I should probably be reading scholarly things and writing papers anyway.
2 comments:
Oh those damned tricksey yarn makers... fake wool, itchy and everything, who'd've thought?
Persevere! Felted slippers are so nice!
(So says the woman who feels way to incompetent to even attempt felted anything, though she's seen her mom make amazing things that way...)
Right now, I'm working on a scarf.
-jessica
Post a Comment