Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mystery Project Revealed

It's been shrouded in secrecy and I know you have been on the edge of your seats to find out what I have been knitting... Well I'm sorry to let you down but it really just an ordinary pair of socks in a beautiful, yet manly, colour scheme.

The socks are for Jake, my English friend who I met in Guatemala and became instant friends with when it was discovered that we both knew of the same purple house in Ucluelet. It's true. Jake moved to Victoria, and we were going to be roommates last summer, but then I got this job on Gabriola, backed out on him, and agreed to knit a pair of socks in return for him being okay with it all.

I was off work yesterday and at home all day working on this blasted project. In the morning I took the socks for a walk and photo session at the beach to get the blood pumping and visit the ocean.

Enroute to the beach we encountered a couple varieties of Gabriolan fauna: these ducks that seriously freak me out (they come at you honking like this and I think they will bite me one day)...

...and the peacocks, that I can get along with much better.

Feeling like I imagine it feels to be a new parent with a digital camera, I positioned the socks against various backgrounds and experimented. Now, the seasoned blogger or photographer would just choose the best and post only one, but I kind of like all of these. So here you go:

Socks on fucus


Socks on sandstone


Socks on assorted seaweed and stones


It wasn't all socks. I also took pictures of rocks (and if there had been a fox I'm sure I would have snapped a photo as well). Here are a couple of shots of the beautiful Gabriola sandstone.



1 comment:

the upside of fifty said...

Love the foxy socks on rocks!

Mom