Monday, February 26, 2007

Day of Destruction

Woah, you'll never believe it. I wrote a great long post about the Day of Destruction last week, and just when I was about to post it... DESTROYED by the Internet gnomes. What could this mean? I'm creeped out.

The Day of Destruction was a fine, cold and cloudy yet not rainy Vancouver day. Bri, Mike and I set out to survey the "destruction" in Stanley Park after a winter of severe windstorms that toppled innumerable ancient trees. We began with a stroll along the seawall, that was cut short by the chain link barricade evidently set up to protect the City from liability. We could have scampered around it but instead elected for the inland path...The Path of Destruction.
There were many more trees over the path than I expected. At times you couldn't even really see the path at all. I didn't cry or donate money to the restoration effort, in fact, I feel kind of proud of "nature" for so easily making nearly impassable a human-made trail. Here's my mini rant: why are people so upset about these trees knocked over by the wind (might I remind you that wind is "natural"), but are not equally upset about the huge amount of logging that goes on in our province every day (might I remind you that large scale mechanized logging is NOT "natural)?

Our Day of Destruction continued with a sighting of a Danger Duck. We were very quiet and didn't get between it and its ducklings so although my heart was beating so hard I thought it would leap out of my chest, we were alright.
The Day of Destruction was going to conclude with a trip to Locarno Beach to see the set of a plane crash for the movie Passenger. But we decided not to go because it was kind of late. Our plans were DESTROYED!

No comments: