Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Good for a girl who doesn't like beets

I just finished the last of the gallo pinto from last week, and my freezer is stocked with pre-cooked kidney beans. Today I decided to do something with the beets in the crisper. I bought them about a month ago with good intentions. They are cheap, local, and in season. They score a 3 out of 4, losing one point because I don't actually like beets. Or, I didn't used to. My parents tried to tell me they tasted like candy when I was a kid, and plop a bit of sour cream onto the pink hunks of boiled root vegetable. They were worse than broccoli. Far worse.

I boiled them up with onion, garlic, cumin, and tomatoes. First I sauteed the onion and garlic in oil, then added cumin (whole seed would have been better but I only had ground), and a bit of flour to thicken. Then I tossed in 3 chopped beets, and two chopped tomatoes (the recipe said to peel the tomatoes, but that just seemed like a waste of time). I added enough water to barely cover everything, and simmered for 45 minutes.

I recommend it. Tastier than just plain boiled beets, and pretty easy. It's also a good use of the squishy tomatoes that you forgot to eat last week.

Just so you don't think I'm freakishly strict about food, I'll let you in on a little secret. Last week, in Shoppers Drug Mart, I bought a few things that aren't healthy, cheap, local, or in season. I was driven by some serious cravings. Totally chemical and beyond the reach of the rational mind... I went home with a bag of all dressed chips (a big bag) and two (big) chocolate bars.

Hm, I think I'll have some of that chocolate bar right now...

No comments: