Friday, February 16, 2007

Iluminating parts of our life


I went to my first SCUBA club meeting at UBC last night, and came away feeling disappointed that I've let myself become so disconnected from the ocean and the natural world since I've moved to Vancouver.

A man from DFO gave a presentation about abalone at the meeting, and I thought about the abalone shells I have, and how I had such a wonderful time searching for them on an early summer day at Little Beach in Ucluelet. It may have been chance that I found some beautiful ones that day, but I have a feeling that I put my intention out there, and the shells presented themselves to me.

I have a huge ache in my heart for places like this right now. It has caused me to begin taking stock of what I am doing in life, where it is taking me, and if I am happy with this.

I was talking to my friend Eve about this tonight, and she thinks that with days getting longer at this time of year, we begin to reflect on our lives. The extra daylight somehow is illuminating parts of our life that have been unthought of, or in the shadows for a while.

No comments: