Sunday, December 23, 2007

This time last year: Christmas in Nicaragua

It's hard for me to believe that this time last year I was in Nicaragua. I spent Christmas Eve of 2006 playing in the waves at Las Penitas, a beach that reminds me of Tofino but with warm water and tropical shells. I was with a nice group of travellers from England, Israel, France and Canada. I bought a shell from a local girl for the equivalent of 20 cents, and she said it was alright when I asked if I could take a photo of her.

In the evening I was back in the colonial city of Leon and went to the Parque Central (town square) that was buzzing with activity. A massive market had set up around the cathedral which had grown over the past several days that I had been staying in Leon. The market sold mostly toys, jewelry, and other novelties. Many stalls were also selling apples imported from Washington state and grapes, which are apparently a Christmas treat in Nicaragua.

The cathedral had its doors flung open and the crowd was moving through it as if it was an extension of the public square. Despite the hot weather, there was a Santa in the crowd. I was there in a sleeveless shirt, and I can't imagine how hot he was in that costume! Santa seems to me such an incogruous theme for Christmas in Nicaragua.

Then there is the Gigantona, pictured in the crowd outside the cathedral, a unique Christmas season tradition in Nicaragua.

I would love to visit Nicaragua again. This year, I am so happy to be celebrating Christmas with my family.



1 comment:

Kyle said...

Sweet Story! Christmas in warm weather is just a little bit funny when you're an expat somewhere abroad...

Merry Christmas Sunshine!